Monday, October 6, 2008

Language Beliefs

I believe that language has power. If you are in a different country and they speak a different language, the people who speak that language are in the majority and you, being one of the only ones who speak that language, are in the minimum. Our guest speaker, Ms. Lewis, told us this and I found it was a good belief and decided to adopt it. This holds a lot of truth for because I went to Russia this summer and experienced this firsthand. I was in a small taxi with a man who knew no English and we knew very little Russian. It was very hard to communicate with him, and I felt powerless because we needed to tell him where we wanted to go and couldn't because of the fact that we didn't speak his language. We had to get people on the phone to tell him and it took a long time. This was when I found out, through life experience, that language has power.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home